Monday, October 3, 2016

Maple Butternut Gorgonzola Salad







     When I start roasting squash it reminds me it's time to pull out my sweaters, scarfs and winter coats.  Then when I combine that with Walnuts, Gorgonzola and a sweet Balsamic Vinegar it reminds me I'm happy to be alive.  I love the beginning of Seasons and how our taste buds follow suit, such is the case with my Maple Butternut Gorgonzola Salad.  This can be served as a side dish or main course topped with grilled Chicken or Salmon.  Either way, this is such a winner that it's not to be missed, regardless the outside temperatures.  :)

Ingredients~
Large Butternut Squash (2-3 pounds, 3 is best)~trimmed, seeded and diced (beg your produce guy to do it for you)
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dash Salt, I like Pink Himalayan
Dash Pepper
Dash Garlic Powder
Dash Onion Powder
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1/3 cup chopped Walnuts
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
5oz Arugula
2oz Gorgonzola crumbles

     Toss Butternut Squash cubes with Olive Oil and spread on foil lined cookie sheet, sprinkle with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne to taste.  Roast for an hour at 400, after 30 minutes remove and flip over and continue roasting another 30 minutes.  Last 5 minutes of roasting, add chopped Walnuts to foil lined cookie sheet and toast for remaining 5 minutes.  Remove Squash and Walnuts and cool to room temperature.  Meanwhile, bring Vinegar to simmer, stir in Maple Syrup and simmer for about 5 minutes stirring constantly, or til slightly thickened, set aside.  Add Arugula to large bowl, top with cooled Squash in center, sprinkle with toasted Walnuts and Gorgonzola.  Drizzle with thickened Vinegar.  Enjoy  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment