Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Eggplant Chana Masala







     I learned something new today ... Chana Masala is a popular dish in the Punjab region of northern India as well as in Pakistan. But in Pakistan, there are variations that are made with potatoes as well as chickpeas. In India, it is often eaten with a type of fried bread and is known as chole bhature.  I had mine with my Rice Protein Bread  with a little butter and it was the perfect combo, refer to my blog for the Rice Protein Bread.  I have never eaten this type of dish before, so when I came across the recipe I knew I had to give it a try.  I changed it a bit, with adding Sweet Potatoes being the biggest addition.  I thought it made the perfect finishing touch.  But since I have never had it before, there is a slight chance I could be wrong about that ...  but I loved it anyway ..and it was a blast experiencing something new... I feel so worldly!!!  So the next time you are in the mood to go vegetarian for a meal, give this a try and you can be worldly too !!!  :0

Ingredients~
2 large Onions
2 heaping teaspoons chopped jarred Garlic
1 Tablespoon EVOO, more may be needed with the addition of the Eggplant
1 teaspoon Curry Powder, or to taste
1 teaspoon Cumin Powder, or to taste
1 large Eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1~15oz can chickpeas, drained
1~14oz can peeled diced tomatoes
1 can vegetarian chili
Large Sweet potato, baked, cooled and diced
about a cup of Cilantro leaves

     Heat EVOO in large skillet and add Onions, Garlic, Cumin and Curry and cook til a golden brown, approx 20 minutes.  Add Eggplant and saute til lightly browned about 5 minutes, may be necessary to add additional EVOO as the Eggplant tends to absorb a lot of oil.  ( I probably added another 1-2 Tablespoons)  Add the Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Chili and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  It will get watery, but then reduce to a thick, stewy Chana Masala.  Stir in Sweet Potato cubes, and add more spices to taste.  Stir in chopped Cilantro and serve. Enjoy  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Our Vitamins and Supplements for both Women and Men are Manufactured in the USA in a gmp certified FDA registered facility and tested for purity to the highest standards.
    friv jogos online
    jogos online 2019
    friv jogos 4 school online

    ReplyDelete