Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Brussel Barley Pecan Feta Cranberry Agave Salad



     I can't get enough of Summer Blend Salads !!!  Love the crunchy sweet accents with fresh produce and a hint of grain, ... who wouldn't!?  :0   So when I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest I knew it had my name written all over it !!!  I literally couldn't look away !!!! I made a few changes and decided MUST. TRY. SOON. !!!  I was not sorry I did either, this turned out great and I would highly recommend it at your next get together or holiday!  It can take on a fancy air, or stand alone as an everyday sturdy side dish.  Which ever the case it really doesn't matter, cause this is just darn good !!!  ;)

Ingredients~
1-2 pounds Brussel Sprouts , de-stemed and quartered
2/3 Cup fresh Cranberries or dried Cranberries ( reduced sugar if available)
1/3 Cup reduced fat Feta crumbles
1/3 Cup Pecans Roasted ( Roast in Pam sprayed foil lined pan at 315 degrees for 7 minutes, then turn over and continue roasting for another 7 minutes til golden and producing a nutty smell.  I like roasting versus pan toasting as I find it more reliable and less likely to burn.  Also, roasting your pecan brings out a much richer flavor of the nut)
1/2 Cup Barley
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
EVOO
Salt and Pepper to taste

     Prepare barley according to package directions.  Heat sprouts, cranberries and EVOO in skillet over medium heat til sprouts are browned and cooked crisp tender, about 30 minutes.  If you are using dried cranberries, then add after the sprouts are thoroughly cooked.  Season with salt and pepper, add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup or agave nectar, stir to coat and remove from heat.  Toss barley, sprouts, cranberries and pecans in large bowl and top with reduced fat Feta !!!  Enjoy  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ding dang Paige! Your recipes are so awesome I find it frustrating to not have more time to make them and eat them!! I now have a cookbook with copies of your recipes! a la Paige is the name of it :) Keep it up . . . love the way you combine fitness and deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Michelle!!! I really appreciate all your support!!! Comments like these gives me the courage to keep going, sincere thank you !!! ;)

    ReplyDelete